GravemindThrough the Looking Glass
In a dusty and worn journal, clad in  battered leather in a forgotten corner of the lands, flowing handwriting stands defiant against the march of time

It's first passage reads so;

Quote:It's funny how closely the world matches a mirror. From afar, it's a pristine reflection, every detail glimmering and luminescent. Yet, as one draws closer they'll inevitably see the smudges, the flaws in it's design, a beautiful piece tarnished by the little imperfections. 

[i]...Yet even as I'm shown again and again that it's imperfections creep even into it's more beautiful reflections. I still can't help but be awed by it. To stare mesmerized by it's colors and shapes. To feel warmth at the smiles and happiness that it reflects. 

So I'll polish that mirror. I'll make even it's imperfections shine and cast light on their smiles. I'll let the entire world see that all of it's beautiful, no matter what they try to say. 

For my family, and a more radiant tomorrow. ~M~
[/i]
In a dusty corner of Dal'thala, a notebook lays forgotten. Perhaps dropped behind the forge on a thoughtless night, perhaps knocked away during a flight from the home...

But regardless of why it's here, within those dusty leathers, the scrawling words yet stand defiant against the marching of time. Bold black struck against stark white.

The second passage reads...

Quote:
The mirror cracked.

I saw it happen myself, what I now know was possibly the beginning of the end. I saw the first fractures, spreading like a spider's web across the glossy surface of the mirror. I ignored them, I was too busy worrying over the stone that had been cast at the mirror. I ignored them, I was certain and unwavering in my faith that those around me would mend it.

And for a time I thought I was right. I thought I was right as I polished myself, as I turned inward and ignored the cracking, I laughed with my friends and ignored the cracking.

Until it shattered in front of me.

The mercury now spills like the lifeblood of a hunted animal. The shards of glass are around my feet. The legacy I once wanted to build now feels like it's choking me, and I can't help but to feel betrayed, lost. My friends scattered, some now enemies with one another...

Nemea help me, I don't know how I'll fix this. Only that I must try.

For all of their sakes.
[Image: image0.png]
Don't ever speak to me or my son ever again
Stare in the mirror, repeat the words. 

“Myrrah A. Al’Britu.”
 “Myrrah A. Al’Britu.”

It’s not forgotten. It’s still there.

“Myrrah A. Al’Britu.”
“Myrrah Aetris Al’Britu.”

They’re still with you. Just like they always have been. 

“Myrrah Aetris Al’Britu.”
“Myrrah A. Al’Britu.”

Maybe to others they were a footnote. Maybe not even that. But they’re still with you, still in your name. Still in your memory. Still beside you. Still somewhere out in the forests, in a cozy little village nestled between rolling hills. 
Lost in chasms of the earth, or hated by so many. Martyrs of simple answers, of far-away hubris. All I have left of those old days are my memories, and the fantasy of you being here today. Of you meeting my children, and them seeing these places held so perfectly in my mind. Still and picturesque. 

But for now, just breathe. Bury the regret, bury the hatred like you always do…and say your name. 

“Myrrah A. Al’Britu.”
Bug 
I Remember. 

Time moves fast for a Magi, it’s easy to let things be forgotten in the rapids of time. To let grudges slip, to forget sins, to try to move on to better things. 

My mind has always clung to knowledge. It’s never forgotten what truly mattered. 

The tears of the widows I’ve comforted. The still forms of the heroes who protected them. The children who laughed and played, never knowing how painful their lost protector’s last moments were. 

All I’ve ever been able to recall so clearly is that pain that others seem to let slip away. The pain I grew up surrounded by, the pain the nation I sacrificed eternity for was forged in. 

The pain my friends died to try to stop. The pain I lost even more to.

I tried to take the wisdom of others. To try and bury the past, to embrace the future…

But now the ones who caused so much of it are trying to bury it. To make their sacrifices forgotten, and they have the gall to tell us to smile.

Mother. Please, forgive me as you have before. I failed to defend the seat of your power once again. 

But as long as I draw breath, I will give myself unto you. I will embrace my grief, my hatred, my pain, I will force this hateful world into a better tomorrow.

I will make them remember.
Topic Options