DreamspeakerNecromancy Mechanics
Hello.

I come here to talk about Necromancy and how Undeath is mechanically gained. Personally I like that Necromancers can have minions of their own (aka Undead) in order to gain Undeath for them, but at the same time, it becomes too much of a struggle to actually start off as one - or, god forbid, there's limited amount of people interested in playing as Undead and/ or these players cannot be active + need time to set up.

I wanted to suggest to allow Necromancers to gain 1 Undeath per dangerous/ deadly RPB as well. I'll list pros/ cons of such decision.

Pros:
• Allows newly starting Necromancers to properly take off & begin their antagonist troupe. Right now they rely on perming 5 people or somehow finding a corpse to have even 1 Undead.
• Encourages Necromancers to get personally involved more (i.e more Undeath gains), which may result in better rivalries/ story arcs if they're personally out there.
• Balances it out with other classes. For Faith, all you need to do is spam prayers; for Black Magic, you get 1 essence per aggressive & 2 per danger/ deadly, which is far more consistent.
• Gives some breathing room to newly starting Undead, i.e they don't have to hurry up along and begin dangering immediately due to starvation of Undeath among Necromancers.
• Discourages grime. As it stands, Necromancers are heavily encouraged to capkill absolute strangers (low RPL included) due to severe lack of Undeath.

Cons:
• May inflate Undeath. While there's a literal drought of Undeath right now, allowing Necromancers to get 1 Undeath per danger/ deadly RPB may inflate that.
• Might make the costs of existing mechanics too low. Admittedly, to go from Skeleton > Zombie > Champion, you require 20 perms (as Necromancer), 20 dangers (as Undead), or 4 corpses (as Necromancer). This would mean that you'd still require 20 dangers as Necromancer (assuming you can get 1 Undeath per RPB).
• May encourage safer approach for Undead & let established Necromancers do it instead, i.e not dangering much as Undead until you're at least mid tier RPL (around 180 RPL). Unsure if this is a bad thing, as 200+ RPL established character dangering low level Undead doesn't feel very interesting.

Maybe I missed something, but I believe these are the most obvious pros/ cons. However, there are other arguments that are neither pros/ cons (in my opinion at least).

Further arguments:
• Necromancy is too difficult to grind resource with it. While Faith just requires prayer spam, Black Magic allows relatively safe Aggressives grind (or Dangers for even more), you have to rely on a stroke of luck (perming someone or capping someone to kill/ finding a corpse) which is extremely inconsistent.
• Black Magic has Sabbaths to get even more essence, Necromancy has no equivalent; while allowing Necromancers to get 1 Undeath per RPB may inflate it, at the same time, it's still not too much.
• While Faith lacks mechanically superior spells (but still pretty good), it's balanced by being extremely easy to grind; Black Magic also possesses very good mechanics, albeit geared towards different place.
• Relying on Undead alone is a roll of dice. You might not find players, and even if you do, they might not be active. As brought up before, even if you allow Necromancers to grind Undeath via RPB, that's still 20 dangers worth of Undeath to just give your Undead some racials, which isn't that little.

TLDR:
Undeath gain is too inconsistent (if solo) & it's very difficult to get any start, and relying on Undead pressures the players to become your RPB slaves (which is fairly shitty) rather than letting them have any time to establish themselves as actual characters.

Leave your comments/ thoughts/ threats/ pipe bombs/ memes below.
[Image: TfL47eY.png]
Necromancy is cool. Making undead's just battlecuck slaves is kind of oof though. Having some identity to em would be neat.
ur.com/vcmm6[Image: SwES7N6.gif]
Currently, perming someone as a necro (even them willingly letting you give them a -5) gives you 3 undeath. Mechanically it still only gives 1 but just ticket to receive the full amount.
Rob

[Image: nudd67u.png]
[Image: Ou20Kwc.png]
With the above, I think it's neatly surmised that unless you're okay with griming people the gathering of undeath does appear to be quite an arduous task without an active slave to eat L's till they're actually able to win. I will however correct you on a single point, it is three undeath for perming someone in a fight, but it is currently bugged and requires ticketing.

I think it'd better if necromancers were perhaps able to additionally gain undeath at a rate of 0.5 for a danger, and 1-2 for a deadly. This would be irrelevant of whether the opponent rolled a perm, that is just my opinion.

It would allow a feeling of progression without an insane incline, and would hopefully prevent too much of a snowball.
I think if you're throwing yourself into a dangerous RPB, you deserve that singular undeath (or more if you perm them)

I know there's been at least one necromancer thats done 5+ RPB's and everyone only rolled temp, so they got nothing out of it (save some sweet, sweet danger AP)

Here's an alternative, but take it with a grain of salt

Make it so necromancers can raise basic skeletons without a cost. After all, basic skeletons are WORSE than humans (they get no racials!), maybe give it a cooldown if necessary. This'll allow budding necromancers to at least raise a minion for their plans.
[Image: image0.png]
Necromancy is very purposely based around:
- acquiring productive undead servants
- negotiating/obtaining corpses

Letting Necromancers just danger goes against its design and is frankly boring.

When we work on class content later, something I do want is dynamic graveyard nodes that Necromancers can harvest every year or so. The process should take roughly an hour and be possible for others to stop if they encounter the Necromancer during, more or less making graverobbing a thing.

Undead starting at X level would also be a nice change and an easy one to make.
Topic Options