AstronomicalLet's talk about White Oil
Alright; I'm going to preface this by saying I'm OOC a novice tier alchemist writer, but I am T1 on the game, so I'm just viewing the ingredients needed for White Oil, which I will paste below:
Quote:White Oil
Ingredients: Marignolia (x10), Perdegrine (x10), Fairy Powder (x5), Water Crystal (x2), Aetherblossom (x1)
Energy: 100
EXP: 1000

"A careful blend of rare ingredients to produce the ultimate regenerative remedy. When poured onto injured flesh, it restores the limb, what was once there regenerating anew within seconds. If drank, it will restore any permanent damage to the magical circuits."
Boost: None

I understand that Aetherblossoms in general are considered a HCoD ingredient to go for - this is not to say that an event for one is without other prizes, no; but I would like to talk about the risk of an aetherblossom in general when it comes to the potential usage of it for a White Oil potion. I get that aetherblossoms in general have a lot more dev uses other than just white oil as well, but the whole point of this post is only about how worthwhile a White Oil is with such an ingredient in it.

And that is that it just doesn't seem worth it, whatsoever.

Mythril Kits heal you for 50% of your permanent injuries, while Arcanium kits heal you for 75% of your permanent injuries. White Oil, though? It heals 100% of a single injury, that being of your oldest injury rather than a selected one. For trauma kits, you can select which injury you'd like to heal from a menu when prompted, but that's not the same with white oil potions. Because arcanium is more frequent, especially in dungeons or easily obtainable on lesser risk events, aetherblossoms for white oil don't seem like they're even worth the risk to go for - and again, this post pertains to only going for one for a white oil.

I assume that the majority of the player base's characters are much more likely to acquire a -10 vit perm from dangerous situations or self injuries over a -40 crippling perm as their first injury. With that being said, -10 would be your oldest perm (again, assuming your first perm would be -10 standard over a -40 crippling before healing it), and assuming you get it treated? Why would I want to go on such a HCoD event to obtain an item that will only heal -10 or less vitality when the upgraded armors I get later in the game cover the missing vit and boost me? Sure, it's still missing at the end of the day, but is -10, -5, -2.5, or -1.25 vit even worth the recovery when you risk potential death of other PCs and multiple perms just to heal one character's oldest, probably already healed, first perm? Probably not, IMO..

Here are the calculations below of the missing total vitality you would have per permanent injury depending on what it is healed with:

Quote:-5 vit perms will heal for the following -
Mythril 50%: 2.5 vit (-2.5 vit missing)
Arcanium 75%: 3.75 vit (-1.25 vit missing)
White Oil 100%: 5 vit (0 vit missing)
Quote:-10 vit perms will heal for the following -
Mythril 50%: 5 vit (-5 vit missing)
Arcanium 75%: 7.5 vit (-2.5 vit missing)
White Oil 100%: 10 vit (0 vit missing)
Quote:-20 vit perms will heal for the following -
Mythril 50%: 10 vit (-10 vit missing)

Arcanium 75%: 15 vit (-5 vit missing)
White Oil 100%: 20 vit (0 vit missing)
Quote:-40 vit perms will heal for the following -
Mythril 50%: 20 vit (-20 vit missing)

Arcanium 75%: 30 vit (-10 vit missing)
White Oil 100%: 40 vit (0 vit missing)
The majority of these numbers after healing are 10 vit or below, unless your first injury was a crippling and healed with a mythril kit, a white oil potion for such a high risk event wouldn't EVER be worth it to heal a singular, probably already healed, injury that you aren't allowed to select, as it's forced to make it your oldest injury, IMO.

My suggestion is to maybe change the recipe of White Oil to something that is less taxing on characters to event for that would be less hazardous or buff it to heal more than one injury (probably back to 3 total permanent injuries as some have stated in the discord server that it used to be).

The post is definitely open to suggestions! Maybe it can go somewhere, and again - I do understand that aetherblossoms have more uses than just white oil, but this is what the post pertains to - the recipe of white oil and using aetherblossoms in it for such little reward of what it would be worth going for. If I'm missing anything or my calculations are somehow wrong, please correct me then.
[Image: sab_arnet_eivor_hina.png?ex=6573e121&is=...be15bebf9&]
(10-01-2023, 01:11 AM)Astronomical Wrote: I understand that Aetherblossoms in general are considered a HCoD ingredient to go for - this is not to say that an event for one is without other prizes, no; but I would like to talk about the risk of an aetherblossom in general when it comes to the potential usage of it for a White Oil potion. I get that aetherblossoms in general have a lot more dev uses other than just white oil as well, but the whole point of this post is only about how worthwhile a White Oil is with such an ingredient in it.

And that is that it just doesn't seem worth it, whatsoever.

The only thing I'll really say about this point is that on a HCoD event, typically speaking, an Aetherblossom isn't all you'll be getting. I've been on two different events, one on Harper and one on Na'Ria, and though some of my group got permed (I believe HCoI for the each?), we all got some pretty damn good materials for our troubles, and a lot of dev that fueled our group to push for sigs/brought back old lore with each.

A HCoD event is inherently high-risk, high-reward, and if your DM is feeling merciful if you get a nasty perm through an event, then you'd be able to spin a perm into a bonus instead of a penalty- which did happen on the first event I took part in- and having a HCoD event gives you a lot of leverage for more uniques, sigs, etc etc. Then again, that's events in general, but more dangerous = more better.

I don't think most characters on HCoD events actually die anyways, but I could be mistaken.

(10-01-2023, 01:11 AM)Astronomical Wrote: My suggestion is to maybe change the recipe of White Oil to something that is less taxing on characters to event for that would be less hazardous or buff it to heal more than one injury (probably back to 3 total permanent injuries as some have stated in the discord server that it used to be).

I agree with making it 3 perms of your choice instead of your oldest perm. That feels about fair.
I would like to bump this - with the rise of alchemist characters - to see their thoughts and feelings. I really think the changes should be converted back to three perms of choice rather than the oldest one. So, boop!
[Image: sab_arnet_eivor_hina.png?ex=6573e121&is=...be15bebf9&]
Topic Options