JumpyShadow/Holy Cannon Rework
After having used Shadow Cannon quite a bit I can confirm the very words hoovy repeated pre-ts about a billion times:

This skill sucks.

Keep in mind the damage isn't bad, and is probably actually ridiculous if you have a setup to the point where it becomes broken with something like marble grasp, which is no good either. The rest of the skill, however, is complete trash.

You have a long wind-up in order to shoot a slow-moving beam that, on hit, slows. The slow it provides is minimal enough that if you're in the dead-center of it you'll only take 2 ticks regardless, even without a dash. Not only that but it locks you in place for the same amount of time as time beam which people complain about while it comes with a stun, unlike our cannons.

If your target is standing at point-blank range, which for most skills is the deadliest spot to be, it's actually an advantage for them as they can simply walk towards you and avoid all of the damage. If they're 3 tiles away, they can just move out before this slow monster hits them. The only time where you'll manage to get a decent hit merely equivalent to other masters (using arc of devastation to compare since it's raw damage and was my other option) is if:

1) Your opponent is 2 tiles away, in the center, and has no dash
2) Your opponent is a moth, being attracted by the bright purple light of the beam and decides to bathe in it.

Holy cannon is the same, save for the moth being less edgy and liking normal-colored light.

My suggestion is that we actually find a way to make the skill more interesting and less in a state of feast or famine; let's face it no one wants to use a master that locks them in place for 2 seconds and ends up leaving them more damaged than before, and no one wishes to be hit by the braindead marble grasp+cannon combo that can deal up to a ridiculous 70md in damage in the worst case scenario.

When stating my discontent I read this:

[Image: 3MqlJpX.png]

I suggest we steal this idea for execution beam that mimloopen had and apply it to the current masters, then leaving the execution beam to be maybe a wider version of it.
More than just that, I'll add my own ideas to the pot:

Shadow Cannon: A 1-tile width, long range beam not unlike the likes of light/blood/poison beam that has a decent base damage (maybe 10md) and deals more damage the lower health the afflicted parties are. If the target is under 50% health, it also applies the curse effect (no damage, only the effect) on them.

Holy Cannon: A 1-tile width, long range beam not unlike the likes of light/blood/poison beam that has a decent base damage (maybe 10md) and deals more damage the higher health the afflicted parties are. If the user is under 50% health, it also heals them for a portion of the damage dealt.

I think this would follow the idea of occult feeding off people's despair and weakness like they're a prey before a predator while also following the idea that holy light is at its strongest when the people you wish to protect are at a greater risk.

These are my suggestions.

If you believe my complaint to be nothing but a power grab I invite you to try and use holy or shadow cannon in fights.
Or just consider that over the course of a month hoovy practically posted about how much it sucked every single day in the Eternia discord alone.

[Image: 22afc6354267335a75453c12df6221a1.png]
[Image: nR3lU0X.png][Image: unknown.png]
Vriska Wrote: yeah having an MCU loki icon is pretty cringe huh
cool suggestion. i like it. gives players the opportunity to dodge but also rewards the user for good accuracy.
When it was originally being tossed around as an idea, I did think it was gonna be more along the lines of...

[Image: med_1507260413_image.jpg]
doesnt that ruin the point of prism beam
(10-24-2020, 11:58 PM)Trenton Wrote: doesnt that ruin the point of prism beam

idk you tell that to Vacuum Vortex crying in tears as his twin brothers bully him
Honestly, super thin beams alone would be kind of meh for Shadow/Holy Cannon. Make it a super thin beam that if you eat the beam directly it's high damage. But it also drops a massive explosion AoE at the end of the beam and leaves a crater.
Topic Options