CrystikRageM a g m a
Suggestion: Buff it

Where to start, where to start...

Let's start with slide, then. Magma Slide is 30 RPP, and for the price, you get a wave that's supposed to apply mud on impact and deal good damage, 5 tiles wide. If it worked as described, I probably wouldn't have many complaints. Except it doesn't. The initial tick doesn't apply mud, the AoE does. Which means that if you dodge the aoe by a well-time dash or some other method, it only hits you with the initial tick of 7 spell damage. At 200 pow, it was doing 1300 initial damage. For 30 RPP. For comparison, at 200 pow, great fire wave, a 20 rpp intermediate in the base fire tome dealt about 2300-2500 damage or so. That's... Wow. Oh, and for someone who asks 'but CD?', GFW is 29s. Magma Wave is 30s.

Magma AoE is 15 RPP and is one of the smallest in the game. I'm unsure if there's *any* AoE smaller, but there's at least one of equal size. Sand AoE. You're gonna see a comparison to Sand again in the future. Sand AoE, while having a significantly weaker initial tick/aoe damage, roots the target, setting them up for a variety of follow-up spells. Fatal, whips, beams, etc. Magma AoE does deal more damage, but in a small AoE that applies no CC whatsoever, and is incredibly easy to avoid due to its size. Oh, and if you're questioning CDsc sand AoE is 25s CD, while magma is 23s. Let's show you a comparison to another AoE you can get if you go down the magma path.

https://gyazo.com/61f2cdcf2d2cfbe61d2dacdf1296e0dc

What a difference, for the same RPP. Scorch might deal less damage, but when it's this much easier to land, the damage will be incredibly consistent, which I value over big numbers that you'll only land against an idiot.

Volcanic Barrier is an immunity button, something many trees have now. Let's do a comparison. Iron Body has a 26s CD, and lasts for 5s, and is a self-root. Nothing else. Barrier of Sand has a 25s CD, lasts 8s, and fires an aoe of projectiles around the user every 1s to discourage someone standing next to you waiting for an opening. Projectiles do modest damage. Mistform lasts 3s, has a 31s CD, and allows you movement while in use. Volcanic Barrier lasts 10s, has a 30s CD, and is a self-root.

Long CD, nothing keeps people from standing on top of you, while the long duration ensures that whatever spell they'll want to use as you emerge will be off CD. Sand immunity literally does the same thing, but is slightly shorter, has a *shorter CD*, and fires damaging projectiles which have an impressive enough range that it'll usually hit someone at least once.

The only decent spell in Magma is the aura, which is 8% DR and 15 Pow, but with the ever increasing number of AP increasing auras and bladestyles... Maybe it's enough, but maybe not.

In conclusion, buff magma for the love of god. Make the AoE bigger, apply mud on initial ticks, give the wave more damage. There's a reason out of the massive number of players still on E3, *no one* has gone Magma in a noticeable way, myself aside, the success of which I attribute to fire *in spite* of magma rather than because of it.
The aoe should be the same size as other aoes, imo.
[Image: qt6dQlw.png]
[Image: Fn81wCh.png]
Honestly, it does need some love up in here, especially how sand was recently buffed too; magma just aint worth it anymore. It used to be one of my favorite things back in Spires, pls hlp

Sidenote:
why does it last ten seconds..? are you waiting for the enemy's beam to be off CD? If anything, do what yall said yall was gonna do and add in the magma pool around barrier if it still lacks that

ALSO ALSO
Why is the BASE Holy AoE so huge now? It's massive, gives +10%DR AND it has high as hell damage. Not to mention the Cosmic one is just as big -and- slows...Fix those while you upgrade the magma AoE pls
The Volcanic Barrier is a huge gimp the way Crystik describes it.
I'd expect something like that to do some damage if you get to close to camp it. And honestly, maybe moves like that depending on the length should let the person move/act 0.5 seconds before the invulnerability ends.

Like if you're waiting 6 or more seconds of invulnerability time, that's just letting your opponent (and of course yourself) reset CDs, but the risk there is way too high and the reward way too low against certain builds, especially CC builds.
The biggest issue I see with root defenses like iron body and volcanic barrier is how you can calculate beams just right for when the spell is over and knick them for all the damage.

at most, defensive skills like these should let you move around with a lvl2 slow and not be complete 100% DR. I could also go on to say that the last second of invulnerability that the root ends and you can start moving just a moment before the DR is gone. whichever seems more balanced
Just to counteract something, though, about the 30 RPP Magma Slide. All the advanced trees have 30 RPP openers. Comparing it in cost to an intermediate from another tree, well, that's not really fair. The point cost is simply so you have to invest into the tree, rather than the move actually being worth 30 RPP. But it should work as described, yeah.
(12-18-2019, 04:21 PM)SmugGod Wrote: Just to counteract something, though, about the 30 RPP Magma Slide. All the advanced trees have 30 RPP openers. Comparing it in cost to an intermediate from another tree, well, that's not really fair. The point cost is simply so you have to invest into the tree, rather than the move actually being worth 30 RPP. But it should work as described, yeah.

Didn't want to address it but yeah. Everytime someone makes a big deal about the "30 RPP cost" of some "more useless spell" in a tree it sounds like a badfaith argument. If anything consider it a 10 RPP spell and a 20 RPP attunement mixed into one.
Just to reapond to the rpp cost thing, you're forgetting that magma *already pays for attunement* like any other advanced element does. If I included attunement price, magma wave would be 50 rpp, 30 for the spell and 20 for the attunement to fire.
**When they say attunement, they mean attunement to the advanced element, not attunement to the base element that built into the advanced element.

It is bad faith to argue that the cost of the opener is obscene when the trend has been set for all advanced element trees to cost 30 to buy into-- on top of whatever base investment there is to even apply for advanced element.
The argument wasn't even that it was obscenely priced, the argument is that it's outdamaged by a similar spell in the base fire tree, one that has a lower CD, while the balancing factor of applying CC is tempermental and doesn't always work.
Topic Options